These sessions require pre-registration for an additional fee.
Clinical Seminar: Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Wading Through the Evidence on Evaluation and Treatment Effectiveness
Thursday, October 5 | 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. | Room 551
Speaker: Kristen A. Matteson, MD, MPH
Abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB) affects up to 30 percent of women during their reproductive lives and has a major impact on the quality of life of suffering women. While hysterectomy is the definitive treatment for AUB, a multitude of alternative less invasive medical and surgical treatments are available, making selecting the best treatment for the individual patient challenging. This clinical seminar will cover the burden of AUB on women and the healthcare system; the use of FIGO classification system for symptoms and etiologies associated with AUB in order to standardize publications and documentation; and the evidence of effectiveness of treatments for AUB (combined oral contraceptives, progestin, NSAIDs, antifibrinolytics, the levonorgestrel intrauterine system, and endometrial ablation).
- Describe the definitions of abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB) and the terminologies supported by FIGO and ACOG
- Critically evaluate medical and surgical therapies for AUB not caused by structural abnormalities or systemic diseases
- Develop strategies for choosing the best treatment for patients in his/her practice
Surgical Tutorial: Laparoscopic and Robotic Sacrocolpopexy Pearls
Thursday, October 5 | 4:15 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. | Room 551
Speakers: Elizabeth Geller, MD; Andrew Sokol, MD
This surgical tutorial will outline strategies to maximize efficiency during both laparoscopic and robotic sacral colpopexy. Tips and tricks will be reviewed for patient positioning and docking, optimizing exposure, dissection, and graft fixation.
- Describe optimal patient positioning and docking
- Discuss time-saving strategies for exposing the vesicovaginal, rectovaginal, and pre-sacral spaces
- Employ different techniques for mesh fixation to the vagina during laparoscopic and robotic sacral colpopexy
- Describe techniques for the efficient use of these minimally invasive techniques for sacralcolpopexy